Thursday, March 29, 2007

Who is the REAL Enemy of Today?

There are times when I find myself wondering just who the actually threat to my American Way of life comes from.

For years I was taught that the enemy to the American Way was the Communists. Any one here remember the Senate Hearings, Joe McCarty and his campaign against everyone he believed might be a communist?

Then it was the Cubans and of course the Soviet Union. Can anyone say “Duck and Cover”?

This of course was followed quickly by the Domino theory. Still fear of the Communists, only this time in Vietnam. “GI Go Home.”
President Johnson became my personal enemy when he sent out solders to Vietnam without actually telling anyone. The Tonkin Gulf Resolution I believe it was named. I still think of him as sort of ‘hiring a hit men’, murderer.

President Nixon became the enemy when he played games with “plumbers”

This anti-communist fear was suddenly replaced and we were in fear of some kind religious takeover when it became obvious the Iranians hated us.

Of course, at first, I had no doubt who the enemy was when Iran took the American hostages. I remember watching their release and telling myself I’d done the right thing for them when I voted for Reagan, even though it sort of felt like submitting to blackmail. It appeared to me that the negotiations for their release apparently occurred during Carter’s time office. I didn’t like giving Reagan credit for something I didn’t really think HE had done. I finally realized I wasn’t real sure who the enemy was for sure that year - Iran, Reagan or Carter. Iran for taking the Hostages but negotiating with Carter, thus making me feel as if the only way to get our people back was to vote for Reagan.

Then of course I had no doubt that Kuwait needed out help. After all they asked us for help. Iraq was clearly the enemy then. One country had no right to invade another country - that was my battle cry. Help the little guy out over the big, strong, tough bully.

Now that brings me today. After 9/11, I was told the enemy was Obama Bin Ladin and the Taliban. Ok, that was simple enough, go get him, bring him to justice, and then execute him (The idea being that he was truly guilty). The same for very member of the terrorist group involved in 9/11.

Because I was told the training bases for Bin Laden were in Afghanistan, I could sort of see taking troops there. After all, if Afghanistan wasn’t gong to give us our enemy we had a right to take him. Right? Wellllll - Maybe

Then suddenly the enemy was Saddam, in Iraq. Wait a minute. I THOUGHT WE WERE GOING AFTER TERRORISTS? Not Iraq. Why were we no longer trying to find Bin Ladin? I even heard our President state that Bin Ladin was not our target anymore, Saddam was because he refused to comply with the UN orders. Hey wait a minute - I thought this War of Terror was about the TERRORISTS - not dethroning Saddam, but getting justice for the deaths during 9/11.

Just who was our enemy any way? Then I also discovered it was okay for our President to do Exactly what Saddam had done to Kuwait, INVADE them. So instead of seeking justice, we were now acting as some kind of hit men unofficially appointed by the UN? Hummm - I don’t know about that one….

We suddenly had laws allowing our own laws to be broken - the biggest of which was the Patriot Act. And why - Certainly not because we are seeking justice anymore.

Instead we have instigated invasions that require some sort of modification of the Rights of AMERICAN CITIZENS, and subjugate the laws of the International World. Suddenly it’s okay to hold people with out charges, trials, and subject them to torture. All of the values we have held as Americans are under attack. In the name of FREEDOM? What kind of freedom will we have if we allow ourselves to become no better than our worst enemy.

Who the Hell is our real enemy now - Communists, terrorists, Iraq, Iran,North Korea, or ourselves - our own government. I find myself leaning more and more towards the last. I at least need a score card. What about you?



Posted by: Linda H. at March 29, 2007 02:23 PM

No comments: